Friday, August 5, 2011

August 3

Well, our time here is coming to an end here in the next week. I have a little heaviness in my heart as I think of leaving Njinikom.  In this little walk-a-bout section of St. Martin de Porres hospital, I felt as if we have been enclosed in the womb of Christ. This is not to suggest a gender assignment to God, but only to depict the kind of peacefulness, security, warmth, and holiness that a womb symbolizes, and I have felt while here in this little area of Africa.  I do not have a car, and therefore cannot zip around and go many places, and haven’t really had the urge. There are few cars or motorbikes around, and so there is no “traffic”. Most walk every where they need to go, and always greet each other with a “Good morning” or “Good afternoon”.  I have attended daily mass in the morning with a chapel full of devoted Sisters and felt their love of Christ. I am surrounded by these same Sisters throughout the day as nurses in the hospital, midwives, nurse anesthetists, another working with the animals, and various other jobs that they do.  I have cooked more than I have in the last 3 years, and eaten all three meals each day, sitting at the table with my son. We have had tea together in the evenings with our wonderful short-term partner, Dr. Tim and played epic games of scrabble, uno, or rumy. I have shared knowledge and conversation with doctors, HIV counselors, and nurses that are full of faith and dedicated to the care of their patients.  

It has been a spiritually blessed experience that has encompassed medicine, our faith, and family.  And over time, there has been less and less awareness of the material things and comforts that were initially missing. Thank you God, thank you Mission Doctors, thank you Sr. Xaveria, and thank you all for your prayers and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment