Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Renewed

Today is my 2nd day in the clinic.  The first few days that we were here, I was getting Milan and I settled in the country and then Milan in the orphanage.  Happily, he's fit in well. He teaches Terrence reading and math in the morning, helps feed the little ones, plays with them, and then usually plays futbol (soccer) with Terrence, Dzuran, Florence, Syverine, and Absetu.  Today he brought his yoyo tool kit to try and fix the scooter that they have there but the tools weren't large enough so we'll bring the leatherman tomorrow. He gave Terrence 10 words to study for a spelling test tomorrow... we\ll see how that goes.
 
As for the day in the clinic, I wasn't quite as overwhelmed. The first day, after going through the first ward, the pediatric ward, and seeing all the very sick children...I felt like I was kicked in the gut. Seeing all these little young lives with malaria or HIV positive... I have never seen anything like this.  I was very quiet for the rest of the evening.  Thank goodness for the patience and compassion of Tim...he could see the exhaustion and overwhelming feeling I had.  I pray every morning for God to give me strength (especially this morning), and wouldn't you know that this morning when I walked Milan to the orphanage, a nun stopped and welcomed us and thanked us for our courage.  That small comment renewed my spirit... it was like a kiss from God.
 
Today was better. I feel stronger.
 
By the way, Milan is eating casserole/type dishes here. Rice with vegetable mixed in it! Of course he's flavoring it with some of the local spices, but nonetheless, eating the vegetables! Had to come to Africa to get THAT to happen!!

No comments:

Post a Comment