Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Introduction

Beginning as a Licensed Practical Nurse in 1996, I went on for my RN and worked all night shift for 10 years on a trauma/surgical step-down unit in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. I had always felt called to missions and began this future by asking the US Army to send me wherever they needed nurses the most. Later as a mother, Milan became my sole "mission" until he was about 7 years old. While we didn't go to any missions, the mission at home as a mother was just as diverse, exciting, and challenging. At the age of 7, we began our experience as missionaries together. We started out slowly and locally, beginning in the Appalachia Mountains of West Virginia and stretching to the Indian Reservations of South Dakota. Later we ventured to Mexico where we spent our time with the children of an orphanage. These were not medical missions yet, as I wanted to gently introduce Milan to missions. So it was in these early missions that our purpose was minor home repairs, painting, playing with the local children, sports ministry, and sharing the love and Word of God. Having been "cradle Catholics", this was a new experience in which we joined other faiths in a type of ecumenical experience of being Christ's hands and help to others. While we all had different backgrounds for the practice of our faith (Pentecostal, Baptist, Protestant...), it was wonderful how He brought us together in a common understanding of His love for us and sharing His love with each other and others.

Through the experience of missions, I needed to expand my medical knowledge so that I would be able to do more for those who were sick, and so over the past 5 years, I completed my doctorate as a Family Nurse Practitioner. During my schooling, Milan and I had our first "medical mission" in Managua, Nicargua with my instructor from Robert Morris University, Dr. Carl Ross. I was a bit nervous in that I wasn't sure of how Milan would feel in this trip. What would he do while I was seeing patients?... Well, it seems that God always has the answer and He knew just what to do with Milan. While I did community home inspections, he played soccer with the local children. While I was in the clinic, he played ball with the children in the waiting room. During evening preparation for the clinic, he counted out tylenols and ibuprofen for the "take-home" baggies for our patients. It amazed me how naturally he adapted to all the different situations...

Hi, my name is Milan. I am 12 years old and just finished the seventh grade at St Benedicts Catholic School in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. My favorite hobby is yo-yoing and I tied for first place in our school talent show with it.  My favorite subject is social studies because my teacher makes it fun.  I play basketball, soccer, and hockey. Hockey is my favorite.  I am going to work in an orphanage in Cameroon, which is pretty close to the equator in Africa.  Well that’s it.

We are excited for this new opportunity, not only to serve those of Cameroon, but to serve side-by-side with those who share our same faith. We thank Mission Doctors Association, especially Elise and Jessica for opening those doors to us. Above all, we thank God for all of His blessings and pray for His guidance and strength. Thank you all for following this experience...
God be with you,
Maria and Milan

No comments:

Post a Comment